But if I were going to write yesterday, I would have told you that my neice ate corn on the cob...from the cob. It was really interesting to watch her learn how to do it. At first incorrectly, then with a little instruction and visual aide, she was a pro! It imediately made me marvel in how big she has gotten, but then it got me thinking about other things that I don't remember how I learned how to do it or how I learned that I wanted to. Most of my list comprises of vices, but that's just because they're on the forefront of my mind. I look forward to watching Friendly learn new tricks through fresh eyes.
Recently I have befriended a man from NYC who works out of Cincy once a month-ish. He LOVES skyline chili. Eats it probably three and four times during his one-week stay. And I can't help but love watching his excitement when he talks about coneys in front of me...like I've never had one. His eyes widen, he demonstrates how he can eat one in two bites, describes how there's nothing like it back home and how he can't wait to get back to his newest love the moment he gets back to town.

Usually I like it hot...but not fast.
I have nothing like this in my life. I have been in NKY for so long that I am a "pro" at most of it. And my pattern of work, work, play, work, work, play has prevented me from exploring with fresh eyes. What a bummer.
HOWEVER, I will tell you that this Friday I am going to The Oaks (thats the filly race the day before the Derby. Similar traditions, but it hasn't caught on nation-wide so it lacks much of the riff-raff that the Derby deals with). I'm going to be on Milionarre's row. It's been a dream of mine to have good seats at Church Hill and here I am. From there, I leave for NYC for a little whirl of a trip to visit freinds and be in the city. I love New York, especially when you get to experience it through the eyes of someone who lives there. It will be perfect.
I've been resting all week so that I can explore this opportunity with awe, wonder, curiosity, and new eyes. Hopefully it will let me return to my patterned life with a fresh perspective and a renewed sense of pride in this great neighborhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment