Friday, December 24, 2010

The Other Christmas (Eve) Virgin

I went to the mall today to finish my Christmas shopping. Today. The day before Christmas. First time I've ever experienced the malls this close to the big day. I usually finish up about 2 weeks before. I'm a planner only in my shopping life. I think about what I will buy people, and in one swoop I go buy it all. I hate malls, I hate lingering around looking for things. I shop like a dude.

This year my life forced my budget to win over my love for giving gifts. I had to coupon clip, stagger my purchases, and wait for paychecks to cover the proposed gifts that I had planned to buy. Except
I had nothing this year in way of ideas. Nuh-thing. Not even for my niece who is 10 months old. I mean how hard is it to walk into the baby gap and buy something that's cute simply because it's so small? Nothing.

So I heade
d to the mall hopeful to be inspired upon arrival. And hopeful that would come with a nice parking spot, few people, and all within an hour.

Not. Even. Close. I confess it wasn't horrific, but I will never do that again. I may not even go to the grocery t
o get the Frito's I need for my dip. I may just pass out spoons.

Some observations about my "first time":

Men are in fact the largest demographic represented. And interestingly they come with friends to shop and, presumably, stand in the middle of the walkway.

Parking is not terrible. That's because the second largest group of people are men and the fourteen children in double strollers. They all ride together. Together they also stand in the middle of the walkway.

There are some really great sales happening on The Eve of Jesus' Birth. True. But only for stuff that you want to buy yourself. Not one thing that you could purchase for others will be on sale.
I must have had the stink face on all day because the only kiosk person that harassed me was the hair straightener guy. "I know you're hairs already straight, but let me help you relax." Word for word. He did not get my sale.

Nicest sales representative that actually seemed to not mind being there? Great Steak. Genuinely friendly young woman who helped me decide if I actually wanted lettuce on my cheese steak. I cannot say the same for the other 6 stores where I purchased gifts. 1 of 7. Add into that percentage my really pleasant attitude. The place was glowing with the Christmas Spirit.

But I did it. Within budget. On time. Got home in time to take a nap, eat my steak, and now get ready to listen to my favorite music of all time. Christmas Hymns. And tomorrow I get to see a four year old believe. And despite a rocky year personally and professionally, a tight budget, and simply a lack of Christmas Spirit, I am excited it's here. I've been a good girl all year long.

And it will be the 'hap hap happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye.'

Merry Christmas, friends.

xoxo
Gage~


No comments:

Post a Comment