Jan 2 I am going Gluten-free. Lame, I know. Totally fucking lame. But sometimes I think you don't know how sick you are until you're well. Despite my doctors clearing me of having Celiacs Disease, I had a friend point out to me that they often test the upper GI, when the disease impacts your lower intestine. And so self-prescribed...I'm going for it.
I made the decision a few weeks ago and have told some people. Everything I read suggest that when making the change you should have someone who reads labels with you. And unfortunately, I don't have a husband or roommate to force into this lifestyle change with me. I do have my dear friend KRay who sends me a recipe from allrecipe.com on a daily basis. And my mom has been pretty helpful, too. And so I am kinda excited for this challenge and hope I have the will-power to stick to it. (That's sort of a 'hey you blog-land buddies...hold me accountable). The thing is that it's not like if I do have some Gluten I'll need an eppi-pin. But again, I'm just hopeful something works.
I don't think it will be terribly difficult, but there will be things that I will miss. And so I've started to keep a list. Sort of a 'i recognize our time is short dearest product that contains wheat, oats, or rye'. So without further adieu...my list (so far) of things surely to miss come Jan 2...
*Wheat Thins
*Triscuits
*Fat Tire Beer
*Trader Joe's Black Pepper Sauce
*Stubbs BBQ Sauce
*Pizza
And really those are the only things I've come across where I've thought...DAMN. But on the flip side of the coin, things I have realized that there are some things I can still have which will be little crutches for me...
*Tootsie Rolls
*Fritos
*Baking is easier than it seems-cheese cake, custards, most pie fillings (just need to find a gluten free crust), chocolate.
*French Fries
And now if any of you are Gluten free out there and want to pass along some advice...I'd be glad to have it.
And in the mean time, I have to go eat some Triscuits while chugging beer.
No comments:
Post a Comment