Friday, May 21, 2010

Fulfilling the American Dream

I am in debt. Like a lot. I work my ass of to save the children only to hand my money to 5/3 and Sallie Mae. It's pretty frustrating; especially in light of the Wall Street Fiasco and my inability to consolidate loans because of those assholes. Admittedly, it generally doesn't bother me too much.

But here's the thing.

Our world is in a state of crisis. Earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires, literacy crises, growing national debt, and Duke won the national championship. And while all this is happening, Francisco Cordero is getting paid $46 MILLION dollars to strike out three players and not give up a lead. Look him up, he does not do his job well.

Yet, I can't help but feel that he is tangible proof that the American Dream exists. This guy is from humble upbringings in the Dominican Republic moves to the United States to play a game and provides luxury for his family and community back home.

But here's the thing.

I also am certain that if I were as bad at my job as he is at his, I'd be fired. I brought this up to my wine guy, Alfonse. (PS> Is there a name for a guy who sells you wine? Like how baristas make my coffee?) We laughed for a second and the guy in line behind me says, "I'd be fucking fired for spilling four quarts of oil in my office let alone that fucking mess down in the Gulf". So that got me thinking...who else would I send the pink slip to for lying to or just taking advantage of the American Dream?

Some initial thoughts:

*Heidi Montag's publicist. How on earth could you look at the good people of the USA and say, "you are going to love this song."
*Ruth Madoff (Bernie's wife). How are managing on a piddly 2.5 Million? Things sure are hard down here among the real folk, eh?
*British Petroleum. Neko case tried to tell you, 'Never turn your back on Mother Earth'...Cause she'll fuck you. (On a side note...I'm watching my Texico stock pretty closely right now).
*Nickleback. Just stop already.
*Political campaigns. Do you ever think that if the money that was put into political campaigns was instead invested into education or feeding the poor, we may actually directly impact the progress of this country? Consider that the Six presidential candidates (yes there were technically 6, Google it) raised nearly 1.2 BILLION dollars for the 2008 election. That's Billion. With a B. That could take away the debate about whether we should eliminate arts education in our schools. I'm just sayin'.
*Grey's Anatomy, producers, writers, McSteamies, McGreedies...that show should have ended four years ago.

I now pose the question to you...who would you fire?

I will note that I am AMAZED that I have a job that I enjoy and that I am able to really impact my community. It's not what I want to do forever, but I am thankful for the chance to do it today.

ghg~

No comments:

Post a Comment