Sunday, July 11, 2010

Every Age Has Its Advantage

This week, I turn 29. I am one of the last of my friends to turn 29, and have spent the past year watching beautiful, strong, smart, women, wives, and mothers announce their last birthday. That they had decided not turn thirty. Dumb. I am pumped about turning 30. Can't wait. I am going to charge into my 30s and I look forward to the woman I will grow to become in the next decade.

Although I am almost antsy to get to the big 3-0, I have in the past few months felt this urgency set in. It's a strange desire to iron out the cloth and figure out some shit before I get there. I know that I will forever be working on who I am and what I want to be when I grow up, so it's not just that. It's almost as though I have a bucket list for my 20s and I'm freaking out about crossing things off this list. For example, I'm finally getting my own apartment because my desire for an herb garden grew insatiable.

I know that if I could sit down with 15 year old Gage (aside from the obvious conversation we would have about not wearing sweatpants EVERY day), we would have to have a chat about what her late 20's look like. I'm sure there are some things she'd be surprised to learn and I may even disappoint her. But maybe if I can cross a few more things off my list, she'll forgive me. All this makes for a really reflective Gage.

Soon I will reveal to you all things I want to do before I turn 30 (July 22, 2011). In the meantime I leave with you 29 thoughts on turning 29: lessons, talents, skills, and truths about being Gage.

*Wearing heels and drinking champagne makes my heart sing.
*I love baseball but hate when people use it to relate to me. I have abandoned good men and decent relationships for this very reason.
*Dumb and Dumber is my favorite movie. Pride and Prejudice is my second.
*I still believe in Santa Clause.
*I will always question my physical beauty, but I know that I am funny.
*Sometimes my principles get in my way. Worse yet, sometime I lose good friend and hold onto bad ones because of them.
*I pray out loud.
*I think it's embarrassing that I have over 300 friends on Facebook. It's straight up absurd that I actually have more than 700.
*Applesauce is hard to clean off of a ceiling once it has dried.
*I love to swing (on swing sets, pervs)
*Pete Rose slides can ruin newly laid sod.
*I believe Pete Rose needs to be in the Hall. I do not watch Paul Giamatti films as a protest. (Google it to find the connection).
*I regret not paying attention more in college. Yet, I know I would do it precisely the same way if I were blessed with a second chance.
*I am a next day puker.
*When I look at my neices, I shudder to think how much I will love my own children.
*Parenting your parents sucks.
*I luuuuuv reality television.
*There is nothing more intimate than sharing a wonderful meal.
*Wearing a full set of make-up more than 5 days in a row is exhausting.
*Suburbs make me nervous.
*I don't watch scary movies. ever. no exceptions.
*I have been cheated on. I have been the one that someone cheated with. The later is harder to get over.
*I am skilled jump-roper.
*I have only said "I love you" once in a realtionship. While I know what I felt was love, I also now understand that I deserve much more.
*My biggest pet peeve is when able bodied people use the Handicap Access button to open doors. I don't even care if your hands are full. Take two trips. You are, in fact, able.
*Working with children is the most humbling yet empowering experience I know of.
*My "Exceptions list" is: Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Anderson Cooper (so what if he maybe likes boys...), Joey Votto, Joel McHale, and Heidi Klum. Not necessarily in that order.
*I cry when I'm happy.
*People without old friends still in their lives are hard for me to trust. It's a humble reminder of your journey to surround yourself with people who were there on the ride with you.
*I love birthdays. What better way to remind us where we've been while looking to where we go...all while eating cake and drinking champagne:)

I am AMAZED by my first 29 years and look forward to many more adventures, heart-aches, acheivements, first, lasts, and blessings to come.

With MUCH birfday love,

gage~

No comments:

Post a Comment