
My best friend got married this past weekend in the most unbelievable setting. Mountains, flowers, blue skies...seriously, envision Brad Pitt riding bare back across this place. I was happy to be a part of a ceremony where the readings were "O The Places You'll Go" and "I want to Grow Old With You"...(yup from Wedding Singer). Love was palpable. The thing about Ann is that her joy is infectious. She loves willingly, openly, and with a loud laugh. I feel lucky that she is a part of my life. I was proud to stand up for my best friend as she married her best friend.
As Maid of Honor, I spoke (didn't cry through the whole thing, amazingly), and am happy to share with you my homage to Friendly...you won't get them all, but if you've ever met her once...you'll get at least one.
"When Ann and Matt asked me to say something, I thought about all the wedding toasts I've heard. I notice there is a basic format for these things. You talk about when you met the bride, share your favorite story of the bride, then wrap it up with something sentimental to remind the groom that she's still your best friend. Well, I don't remember meeting Ann, my favorite story isn't grandparent appropriate, and by now Matt is well aware of the protective and loyal nature of Ann's friends and family...especially the Jalapeno table, and the Trashmen. (Note: The Jalepeno table were our boys from college, and the Trashmen are Ann's dad's best friends...). So instead, to convey how thankful I am to have Ann in my life, I decided to compose a list of thank you's to people, events, and opportunities that have helped us gte here to this special day.
1. Thank you Lawrence Central HS for Fostering the transformation of this white Indiana girl into "Farberlous"
2. Thank you silver recording artist, MASE, for providing the soundtrack out our lives.
3. Thank you passive agression, without which Ann has never completed a sentence.
4. Thank you DePauw for bringing all these beautiful and brilliant...and beautiful people together while offering a lovely campus, challenging curriculum, and everything better than Wittenburg. (Ann is to DPU as Matt is to Wittenburg...there was actually a contest to see who would have the larger alumni picture...)
5. To the Indiana Delta Chapter of SAE and your shady shady house guests. From you and the 40 dollars we found, a few girls learned the valuable lesson that in a moral dilemma, it's always best to split it.
6. To Phyllis for having strong DNA. There are few sweeter sounds than hearing Ann's laugh from 300 yards away.
7. Thank you Kenny's Liquer on N. College Ave. $45.00 for a keg jump started many many memories.
8. To Charlie for buying the time share in Hilton Head. Our first road trip is when be became best friends on a 10 hour drive. Thank you also to Red Bull for fueling the trip and inspiring conversation
9. To Ann's A-lister's (yoooo-hooooo) and all the guests. Each of you bring such a smile to Ann's face and again, there are few things more infectious than her joy.
10. Thank you to the Werbach's for loving her easily as your own.
11. Thank you Matt for choosing Ann as your greatest critic and ally as you charge into the wonderful adventure.
12. And to you...Friendly, thank you for letting me fumble along beside you.
Ann and Matt, may each day bring you more love for each other than the day before so that 30 years from now you may look back on this day as the moment you loved eachother the least. "
xoxoxo,
ghg~
No comments:
Post a Comment