Thursday, January 7, 2010

Zen Master

Hey There!

A quick plug before I begin today. If you aren't watching 'A Modern Family', you are missing out on a truly brilliant comedy. And the inspiration for this blog. Check out the scene from 5:00 to 6:00; but honestly the whole episode is amazing.

So if you didn't take time to do your homework, the issue posed by this clip is whether or not it's better to confront issues head on or "sweep it under the rug"? I generally am a sweeper. I tend to avoid issues until they are forgotten or, more shamefully, until is creates a rift between me and the friends too big to address. Regrettably, I have lost many friends this way. Besides my boobs, this is my least favorite quality about myself. I've been working on being a more forward person.

Gage, YOU aren't forward?

I am among friends, and generally when talking about someone's shoes or terrible choices in girlfriends, but not when it comes to our relationships. How many of you have known me for several years? And how many of you had to wait for many of those several years for me to confess how I feel about our relationship? And how many fights have we gotten into?

I say this a lot, but I'm an introvert trapped in an extroverts body.

The problem I'm noticing about my new forward attitude is that both strategies are getting me nowhere. If I spill all my guts, people freak out. If I shut down, I lose practice in relating to people. Okay, boys. And here's the reality of it all, I am good at being single and scared of have to constantly being forward with someone.

And all you sage married folk will tell me that it's easy with the right person or something to that effect. I'm sure that's the case, but based on my previous experiences, I have a hard time imagining a person who will constantly put up with my truths. Truths like UK basketball is a lifestyle, and Reds' baseball is a passion beyond my control; family matters most when everything else seems to lose value, no white shoes after labor day, men look good in pastels, and champagne isn't just for celebrations. And the big one, I'm not as strong emotionally as I am spiritually or socially. And for that last one, I need someone strong enough to pull that truth out of me.

My dear friend, Justin was home from Grad School over break and he told me that he felt the man for me is going to be a remarkable one. But I almost prefer the interpretation from my other friend, Jah,
"I am the Zen master of Singlehood, and I'll leave this Dojo when I damn well please"


Amuzings to Come:
*The Great White Death and other things taken far too seriously.

Until then...with MUCH love,

ghg~

No comments:

Post a Comment