Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mi'Ladies



Hey there!

The past couple weeks have been pretty difficult for me. Not in the same proximity of Afghanistan or world hunger, but relative to my generally joyful days, I've been down in the dumps. So I prescribed that which I felt was the only thing that could cure me: a trip to Indy to spend some times with my girls.

Some background: These girls that I am talking about are my pledge sisters. (Yes, I'm a sorority girl). When I first joined the house, I felt like I was an outsider to this group and couldn't imagine spending the next four years at meetings, events, and breakfast with them. Though perhaps obviously, I lasted and over the years we have grown together, apart, independently, respectively, but always with respect, concern, and awe for what the other is going through. I feel really lucky to have had the opportunity to fumble beside them for the past 10 years.

Anyway, we don't get together very often when there isn't an event involved ( i.e. a wedding, St. Patrick's Day, Monon, Reunion) and I needed a little break from the terribleness so I headed the to Circle City hoping to see whomever was available. We were able to rally a pretty great group. There were some obvious absences from those who live much farther away, but a great little group was comprised. We sat, we chatted, we gossiped, we judged, we laughed, we brainstormed, and we laughed some more.

Fajitas, wine, brownies, and my girls.

I am reminded of when I was 15, when I went to South Carolina with Mother to go visit some friends for their 50th birthdays. For two days I watched these women sit at this beach house (too cold for the actual beach) as they giggled, cried, hugged, supported, encouraged, and sustained themselves on a strict diet of asparagus, cake, and booze. And at the end of the trip they were noticibly rejuventated and they headed back to their lives.

It was then I realized that girls will be girls, but it is now I am thankful for the opportunity to experience this. Thank you, mi'ladies for supporting this outsider as she is finding her way and showing me that there is no safer place to be an outsider than inside this group. I am now home feeling rejuvenated, empowered, and truly AMAZED by each of you.



Amazing A-musings to come:
*(I promise I'll touch on the ones from before.)
*I am the Zen Master of Singlehood. I will leave the Dojo when I damn well please.

Until then...with MUCH love,
ghg~

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lordy, Gageby! I couldn't agree more with you musings on this topic- aren't we so lucky to have such a great group!? I feel so blessed to be part of it! Much love, my love!

    ReplyDelete