Monday, May 7, 2012

In My Defense...

I've been having to defend myself a lot lately. I don't really notice it as it's happening, but hindsight shows that there are a few topics that I will grow very passionate about with a quickness. I don't have time to give you all the back stories for all the points here, but I want to share briefly my stances on a few of my life's greatest debates.

1. Catholics are not better than other denominations or people. As an Episcopalian, which is modeled directly from that denomination, we subscribe to many, if not most, of the same theories and beliefs. One we don't share, among a few others, is the fact that you have to be baptized Catholic to take communion at the Catholic rail. This was brought up recently at a friend's wedding and we Anglicans (who attend our church regularly) spent too much time wondering if we were going to share a sacrament at our friend's wedding. I did and found myself having to puff up and show another human that his rules are not the one's I need to be worried about. And that a God I believe in always forgives the sinner even if they don't truly believe in Him. The timing of this is parallel to the story that the woman was fired in IN because she taught at a Catholic School and had IVF treatments to get pregnant. It's remarkable to me. And I'm not suggesting that since Catholics are not a superior denomination that means mine is. I am saying, however, in a country founded on freedom of choice and the pursuit of happiness how does one religion's RULES supersede my FREEDOMS? I have the same argument for the birth control controversy, but it's too early to even go there.

2. John Calipari is a great coach. The one and done bit is not his rule, he just plays that game better than anyone else. If games he coached are revoked we'll cross that bridge when we get there. But now I am having one of the best times as a fan of the UK Men's Basketball program. And yes most of those boys could benefit from 4 years of college education, but that's between them their mothers. Cal has nothing to do with that. Leave him out of that. And notice the growth he can inspire in the one year that he does have with those boys. (Many of which don't have an adult male role model in their life). And what outsiders often miss is what he does for other programs. With an amazing social media savvy he pulls our fans into a winning baseball season, women's basketball, swimming, etc. So I'm sorry that he doesn't beat his players like Bobby and he doesn't guzzle GnTs like Huggy bear, but he does bring home championships.  And if you are a fan of anything you should be able to relate in my excitement. Just be happy for me, jerkfaces.

In case you didn't know what the national championship trophy looks like...this is what it looks like. 
3. I like running. I don't love it yet. I'm not entirely convinced I ever will. I ran 13.1 yesterday then spent the rest of the day eating and drinking crap. I don't do it to be skinny (I gave up on that reality ages ago), I do it because it allows me an opportunity to learn something new all for myself. Physically and mentally. Not for work and not for my family but all for me. I'll debrief on this later, but this race I learned a bit how to be a partner. Everyone always says run your own race, but this time I trained and ran our race.  I learned that I struggle sometimes with partnership. That when at mile 8 Jen told me to go on without her, I almost did. But I was so thrilled when a few miles later when I wanted to die she waited for me. Having been single so long I don't get practice in compromise. And I can't think of another venue where you get to practice so many different life lessons. Running sucks. Races are fun. My legs kill. I look forward to see what the next race has in store. And when you tell me that you hate it or that your knees can't handle it, all I hear are excuses. Because you're right. It is difficult mentally and physically I just use those are motivators and challenges in the journey. If you don't want to run, don't. But you'll never know if you can or can't do it until you truly try.

4. I believe in second chances but I don't believe that people change. People always say that they are impressed that I am a runner now considering where my life was just 5 years ago. I haven't changed though, I've just shifted my priorities. I still like to drink as much as I did back then, I just don't like to do it all the time any more. I still love concerts and baseball and crap reality tv and ice cream. I'm still a goal oriented person who doesn't mind finishing last. This conversation has most often come up with regard to my friend's ex-boy/girlfriends. If you get back with an ex the timing of the relationship and your willing to compromise more/less may be different but that you two are the same people trying a different angle at the same thing. If you poke a hole in a tent to look in, when you poke a hole on the other side it shows you the same tent just a different angle. You can convince yourself that it's different inside, and I'm happy to play along to a degree, but it's the same tent. I know this makes me seem like I'm a judgy pessimist, but how is hoping that your friends never settle and get something they truly deserve make me the bad guy? And if you ask me what I think about your bf/gf and I don't think that person suits you, then I'm going to tell you. But ultimately that's never my choice. And if you are happy so am I. But you shouldn't have to convince me that you are, I should be able to see it from across the room.

So that's it. Special thanks to my blog-stalker for inspiring these thoughts. Post-race rundown coming sometime. Or maybe not. I'm the worst blogger ever and I don't know why you all stick around. But for that I'm grateful and AMAZED for the opportunity to share my life as openly as possibly in this somewhat public private journal :).

xoxo
ghg~


No comments:

Post a Comment