
It's hard not to get reflective on Father's Day. To think honestly and candidly about a man who has influenced your life, for better or for worse. And though I don't consider myself a Daddy's Girl (my sister holds the reins on the title...firmly), I do know that I am beyond blessed to have my Daddy as...well...my Daddy.
So what has he taught me? He's a reserved man. Wonderfully personal, but don't fill the air with unneccessary chatter. So when he speaks...listen. It makes sense. I present to you Tommy's life lessons as he taught those of us lucky enough to listen. He likes to start of his lecture by saying, "Remember these three things and you'll be fine...
1. Never refuse a breathmint.
2. Never date a pilot.
3. Never trust anyone who whispers*"
*He would usually say this one in a huff walking out of the living room when mom and I were watching a chick-flick. But he would bring it up about the other teenage girls who were mean.
Then my 5th grade social studies teacher was a bit of a bully and when I came home crying and complaining about her for the umpteenth day in a row, my father added his fourth, and perhaps most profound law of life...
4. "Assholes don't only exist in education. You'll be dealing with people like her everywhere you go. Be kind. Work hard. Screw her."
It's a bit heavy for an 11 year old. But I'll never forget it. And he was right. And I know he remembers it too because every once in a while when we complain about someone he says, "what did I teach you?" And as though we were reciting grammar back to a strict teacher, I'd say, "Assholes don't only exist in education".
And it has become my mantra. May you find strength in that reality, too.
So thanks for the advice Daddy. It's suited me so far. And I hope to one day pass on your pearls of wisdom to my own children.
And to all my friends and followers who are creating their own pearls of advice on the fly--may you also have a wonderful Daddy's Day.
xoxo,
ghg~
No comments:
Post a Comment