Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Commissioner for a Day

Dearest Bud,

I love baseball. From the first pitch in March to the last out in October. I love a pitchers duel, I love a slug fest. I love various managing styles, I love hustle, fundamentals-getting em on, getting em over, getting em home. I looooove the bottom of the 9th coming from behind walk-off wins.

I hate the All-Star game.

Completely pointless. A popularity contest where the ones that tend to sell the most jerseys are also the ones who tend to start. The MLB has become so money hungry that it has managed to suck the fun out of what should be the most exciting game, with the obvious exception of the World Series. It used to be a chance to see the best of the best sharing the field, working together and fighting for the pride of knowing that your league was the best.



Bonus points if you can name three of these guys. DiMaggio doesn't count.



Now the princesses don't care if they win or not. Not with Free-agency. Teams aren't teams anymore. Players most often play for the pride of knowing they have the highest salary for "a first baseman in baseball history". And some players are nominated BY THE FANS (the reason, actually, that you have a job) and opt not to play. Seriously.

Entitlement is such an ugly disposition.

So here's what I propose...for an all-star game worth watching, rooting, for, and maybe the players would be excited to be a part of it...as an honor to be selected kinda thing.

1. The managers from the previous year's World Series picks their team's starting line up based on performance to date.
2. Each division sends one "personality" to the game. You know, the clubhouse guy. Maybe he sucks as a left fielder, but he's nice to the fans and makes for good TV.
3. Then have the fans vote for the remaining spots.
4. Winning team gets to host the first game of the World Series(not complete home field advantage, we need them to fight for that during the regular season, you see).
5.MVP gets a check to donate to their charity of choice. And a Cadillac. And a trip to Disney World...for the children.

Home run Derby:
1. Men hitting the crap out of balls that are lobbed to them is not impressive to me...unless you take your shirt off. I'm not suggesting that's what happens. I'm just suggesting that I can't really see what would make this improve to me. And I know some people like it, so I won't get greedy...just change the game and I'm fine.

LYLAS,

ghg~

ps. Don't for one second think that I don't stack my ballots with Reds. I used to vote for Edwin Encarnacion on principal. Clearly he was not. Also let the minutes reflect that I use my bff's college email address to vote for Joey Votto. It's a broken system, and I will obviously exploit that if they let me.


Yes they do, Joseph...but that shortstop of theirs is stoopid good. So he gets to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment