
Recently I have participated and witnessed some conversations about religion. I have friends seeking a comfortable place to worship, meditate, or discredit all relgions. I have a friend who is lucky to have avoided tragedy and is certain that something had their hand in this blessing. I have had friends tell me that they think it's interesting that I'm both educated and religious.
Before I continue I would like to acknowledge the fact that my beliefs are just that. Mine. I offer them to you voyers as a story and maybe an opportunity to relate. Nothing more. I consider religion to be like music-there are so many options out there, you're bound to find one, or a blend of many, that suits you...even if it's "none". But please don't judge me for liking pop music, rap, and bluegrass. And please don't try to convince me that country is the only kind of music avaible and recognized by the heavens.
But I am a religious and spiritual gal. I belive in a higher being, and I am comfortable acknowledging Him as God. I identify myself as a Christian. At nearly 30 years old, I am comfortable with all those statements, but have admittedly had a rocky ride getting here.
My spiritual journey began when I was very young as I was baptized into the Episcopal Church and lucky enough to be able to go to the Cathedral Domain. The Domain is a camp in Eastern Kentucky affiliated with the Episcopal church. There I learned to hike and climb, shoot a bow (I'm really good), avoid poisonous plants, and love God and others openly. I also learned to kiss boys and smoke cigarettes; not something, I'm sure, the camp wants me to advertise, but it was a part of my experience and a major part of my duality in my religious identity. And a big point of questioning.
See, I like the sauce and I love God. In this country they are often mutually exclusive. And when put on the line to defend my duality, I most often side with the sauce. My best friend and I will tell others that we met at church camp 22 years ago (that is not an exaggerated number, btw). And the same thing always happens, "Church Camp???!?!?!?" So as to imply, "YOU TWO at CHURCH?" We quickly defend ourselves by telling the anecdotes about smoking and kissing boys.
But why? Well, it's not cool love God. Especially when the most readily available images of open and vocal Christians are members of the Tea Party or catching a ride on the Hale-Bopp comet. And most people think that you can't be socially capable and be a "good Christian". And what is a good Christian, anyway? I was under the impression that we are supposed to TRY to live like Jesus with an understanding that we'll most likely fall short. It's the whole, "shoot for the moon...if you miss you'll be among the stars?" Same shit, but they took out Jesus to make it sound cooler. I have vices (many), but I try to be a good person and friend and steward every day. And somedays I fail at epic proportions. You try to be a good person when someone in a ridiculous outfit and bad hair walks past you...I'm just sayin'.
My friend is going through a tough spot and as a result, he's looking for God. I want to share with you a piece of a letter I wrote to him...
"So I have some unsolicited advice as you take a look around…something that my mother (although crazy, one of the most spiritually grounded people I know) has helped me see over the years. You can’t rely on a church to find God. Sure, he’s there and the whole reason for the gathering of the people, but Church is a community, not a religion. So similarly, church is not necessarily a building with some bells and a choir…it can be a gathering of friends over dinner, a service project, or sitting in a park in silence. But a church (the kind with bells and a choir) can be a wonderful place to help keep your spirituality developing and growing through lessons, stories, and self-discipline. It’s a shame most of them meet so early on Sunday morning…But look for a place where you like the people and you are comfortable meditating and praying. For me, it’s Trinity as much as it is a long drive in the woods. Take some time and listen to your comforts and hopes and needs…
Which leads me to my next bit…you are closer than you think. I was once told that “God Dwells within me as me.” Meaning that God is a bossy, cynical, loving, loyal, manipulative, and empowering woman…for better or for worse, that’s what He and I have to work with. So we put that person out into the world the best we can every day. Sometimes we fall short, but ultimately we’re always in it together. And God dwells within you as the precise, loyal, selfless, creative, hard-working, and loving father and friend. I see God in all you do.
I invite you to read this book (sic, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller). It’s a great perspective on modern spirituality in a non-Christian world. This is only a Christian perspective. I think it’s hard to find just one religion that I believe 100% in, so I tend to blend or overlap some of the theories. Some of the book is bull-shit and a little preachy, but ultimately I love the message that we don’t have to say, “have a blessed day” and “God is Love” to be a spiritual being."
So without getting any more preachy than I already have, I say to you my blog friends, that I am lucky to have the freedom to explore this topic with an open mind and with support and safety. There are many places in the world where this chance does not exist. I am AMAZED that I have landed somewhere that is comfortable for me, and I pray that everyone can have a chance to do the same. So get on your feet. Be a little proactive and take a look around your spiritual life and take notes about some things. Where do you see God? (Or Buddah, or the great green cat in the sky?) Where is it hard to find it? But know this...
I see God in all you do, and I am AMAZED to be along for the ride...
ghg~
No comments:
Post a Comment